the_date ( $format = '', $before = '', $after = '', $echo = true )
- (string) format Optional. PHP date format defaults to the date_format option if not specified.
- (string) before Optional. Output before the date.
- (string) after Optional. Output after the date.
- (bool) echo Optional. Whether to echo the date or return it. Default true.
- (string|void) String if retrieving.
- Introduced in WordPress: 0.71
- Deprecated in WordPress: —
Display or Retrieve the date the current post was written (once per date)Will only output the date if the current post's date is different from the
previous one output.
i.e. Only one date listing will show per day worth of posts shown in the loop, even if the
function is called several times for each post.
HTML output can be filtered with 'the_date'.
Date string output can be filtered with 'get_the_date'.