the_author ( $deprecated = '', $deprecated_echo = true )
- (string) deprecated Deprecated.
- (bool) deprecated_echo Deprecated. Use get_the_author(). Echo the string or return it.
- (string|null) The author's display name, from get_the_author().
- Introduced in WordPress: 0.71
- Deprecated in WordPress: —
Display the name of the author of the current post.The behavior of this function is based off of old functionality predating
get_the_author(). This function is not deprecated, but is designed to echo
the value from get_the_author() and as an result of any old theme that might
still use the old behavior will also pass the value from get_the_author().
The normal, expected behavior of this function is to echo the author and not
return it. However, backward compatibility has to be maintained.